Monday, March 21, 2011

What are the "Fundamentals"?

Some of you reading this (if anyone is) might wonder exactly what a Fundamentalist is, or what they - and by extention, I - believe. This list is from Wikipedia's article on the subject:
  • The inerrancy of the Bible
  • The literal nature of the Biblical accounts, especially regarding Christ's miracles, and the Creation account in Genesis
  • The Virgin Birth of Christ
  • The bodily resurrection of Christ
  • The substitutionary atonement of Christ on the cross
Now, these are the basics of what I believe, though I'm waffling a little on point #1, and definitely have different opinions on the Creation account. I believe that God Created the universe, our solar system, the earth and all that's in it. I just don't know the method. I wasn't there. No one was, not even Adam. So nobody can say for absolute, positive sure that God spoke everything into existance. Not that He couldn't have done it, but I'm not sure He did.

As far as Christ's miracles and points 3 through 5, yeah, I believe them quite solidly.

The trouble is that American Fundamentalism has added a lot more to these five items over the years, and some of these have been raised to the level of the five listed above. And the one thing they've added to which makes them so insidious is the "doctrine" of separation. If you don't believe exactly the way they do, with all the right emphases on all the right beliefs, then they will separate from you, basically condemning you to hell as an apostate. They'll always have their reasons, which they'll frame as "biblical" using a few cherry-picked Bible verses to back them up.

What are some of these things that Fundamentalists divide over? Let's see:
  • The version of the Bible you read from
  • Your clothing - especially pants on women
  • Your hair length - as in short hair on women and long hair on men
  • Alcohol consumption
  • Movies, music styles, and other types of entertainment
  • Childrearing practices
  • Education - many favor Christian schools or homeschooling
  • Patriotism
  • Patriocentrism - the father is the center of the home and is to be submitted to and obeyed
These are just a few of the preferences that end up being raised to doctrinal levels. There are many more; this is just the tip of the iceberg. I've been surrounded by this separation business to varying degrees for years, and it's been hard to walk away from that mindset. Very, very hard. What has helped me is reading the struggles of others who have walked where I'm walking now. My most favorite site is Stuff Fundies Like, which takes a satirical approach to all this rigarmarole.

So, there you have it. I believe in:
  • The inerrancy of the Bible in its original texts
  • The literal nature of most Biblical accounts, especially those regarding Christ's miracles
  • The Virgin Birth of Christ
  • The bodily resurrection of Christ
  • The substitutionary atonement of Christ on the cross
The things that I believe beyond that are secondary. Here are some of them:
  • God created the heavens and the earth. How, I don't know.
  • Bible stories and accounts should not only take into consideration the genre of the text (poetry, history, allegory) but also the historical era and circumstances under which they were written.
  • The ability of each believer to come before God without a mediator beyond Christ Himself, by virtue of the indwelling Holy Spirit. (Also known as "Priesthood of the believer")
There's a lot more, most of it pertaining to my day-to-day life. Some of it might be controversial. Some of it, I'm still forming opinions about. If you have any questions about what else I believe in, go ahead and ask. I might be able to answer; I might not. I am, however, not interested in getting into debates on any subject, especially the controversial ones.

2 comments:

  1. This fellow inmate wholeheartedly agrees. =)

    I think fundamentalism is the worst thing to ever happen to American Christianity. Tragically so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you'd asked me a few years ago, I would have disagreed vehemently. But I've seen so many hurt by the various factions and sects (and there are so many!) of Fundamentalism that I can't support it anymore. And I can't live that life anymore either.

    ReplyDelete